Sunday, June 18, 2006

Night Poem


As this is my last night in "freedom", before going into the hard life of the working man, I choose to devote this night and this day's post to Walt. The poet who gave us the song of himself and the song of America. But I will also devote a thought to Hopper, who's nightly image of the hawks is a favourite of mine. Have a very good night and a couple of sweet dreams to go.




I WANDER all night in my vision,
Stepping with light feet, swiftly and noise-
lessly stepping and stopping,
Bending with open eyes over the shut eyes of
sleepers,
Wandering and confused, lost to myself, ill-
assorted, contradictory,
Pausing, gazing, bending, stopping.

How solemn they look there, stretched and still!
How quiet they breathe, the little children in their
cradles!

The wretched features of ennuyees, the white
features of corpses, the livid faces of drunk-
ards, the sick-gray faces of onanists,
The gashed bodies on battle-fields, the insane in
their strong-doored rooms, the sacred idiots,
The new-born emerging from gates, and the dying
emerging from gates,
The night pervades them and enfolds them.

WW

No comments: