Monday, December 07, 2009

New Era and Winter Wonderland

Finally, I am all settled inn! These last few months have been very strange and hectic, but I managed to back up all my books and my entire life into a set of boxes. After much stress and heavy lifting we was on our way, I got help from my friends to pack and drive the lot south. Though, when I arrived, my supervisor was in Rome and nobody knew of my arrival, so no office, no keys, I was a non-entity. Last week, late last week, all was on its place and my new life could begin.

This is my new neighbourhood:



Since this is very much like a new beginning to my studies I thought it appropriate to quote W. Whitman's "Beginning My Studies":

BEGINNING my studies the first step pleas'd me so much,
The mere fact consciousness, these forms, the power of motion,
The least insect or animal, the senses, eyesight, love,
The first step I say awed me and pleas'd me so much,
I have hardly gone and hardly wish'd to go any farther,
But stop and loiter all the time to sing it in ecstatic songs.

Last week, winter came, and the landskape transformed into pure beauty. So when was heading to work I took some lovely pictures of my daily walk through the forrest:



Christmas is on the doorstep and a song that for me is truly Christmasy is "Walking in the Air" from the childrens' book "The Snowman" by Howard Blake:

Walking in the air, floating the sky...
Floating in the air...

We're walking in the air
We're floating in the moonlit sky
The people far below are sleeping as we fly

We're holding very tight
I'm riding in the midnight blue
I'm finding I can fly so high above with you

Far across the world
The villages go by like dreams
The rivers and the hills
The forest and the streams

Children gaze open mouthed
Taken by surprise
Nobody down below believes their eyes

We're surfing in the air
We're swimming in the frozen sky
We're drifting over icy
mountains floating by

Suddenly swooping low on an ocean deep
Arousing of a mighty monster from its sleep

We're walking in the air
We're dancing in the midnight sky
And everyone who sees us greets us as we fly.

No comments: